Estate planning – is it really necessary? Many do not believe in estate planning especially before the age of 60 or 70. We always think that we have enough time to take care of our estates and other assets when we are older. Our busy lives prevent us from sitting down with a Houston estate planning attorney and carefully plan what to do. What’s more, many are not so keen about thinking of their own mortality. However, as much as we hate to think about it, it is the responsible thing to do for our children, spouses and other loved ones.
It is an unfortunate reality that many families face — often after the death of a loved one, conflicts arise. With no estate planning to outline your final wishes, your loved ones may disagree over who receives certain properties, money or other belongings. Disagreements in the Texas probate process may lead to lawsuits, which can easily be avoided by sitting down with a Houston estate planning attorney to make your wishes known in a legal manner. So, how does this work?
* By hiring a Houston estate planning attorney, he can assist you in making decisions regarding the division of your properties. You need to disclose to him the properties and other things that you own and where the location us so that preparations could be done.
* In the unfortunate event of your incapacity, you need not worry about your estate. Your trusted lawyer will make arrangements as to who will be managing your estate should this day come. This is very crucial, especially if you possess not only one property but several others. Sadly, there are many unprincipled people out there who will manipulate you into giving them control over your properties.
* Many couples don’t consider how joint assets will be divided in their wills if they happen to divorce. The focus is usually on splitting things in the current day, rather than how possessions may be allocated in inheritance to their children. It can be beneficial to consider these issues during the course of a divorce, though. A Houston estate planning attorney will be able to explain how this works and walk you through the process.
* Your relatives may have your best interest at heart but who knows what’s going to happen in the event of an accident or unanticipated illness. There are so many things that we can’t anticipate in life. If the unthinkable happens and you have very young kids, your Houston estate planning attorney can make sure that your assets will go to your children as well as make sure they will be placed in the care of whomever you wish.
* If you hold properties in multiple states, it’s still best to start planning with an attorney experienced in probate law in your primary state of residence. A Texas resident can approach a Houston estate planning attorney for assistance in ALL estate planning matters, including how to pass on property that is in other regions of the country.
We may not like thinking of a future without us in it, but for the sake of your children and loved ones, planning ahead with the help of a trained Houston estate planning attorney could be one of the best gifts you could give them.
Jones Morris Klevenhagen can provide the assistance of an experienced estate planning attorney Houston TX no matter what your financial status is. Consult with a probate law firm Houston to learn what your options are and what type of planning is recommended for your situation.